• Foley, C.A.H., 2002. The effects of poaching on elephant social systems. PhD. Dissertation, Princeton University.
• Hart, B.L., Hart, L.A. and Pinter-Wollman, N., 2008. Large brains and cognition: Where do elephants fit in? Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 32: 86–98
• McComb, K., Moss, C., Sayailel, S. and Baker, L., 2000. Unusually extensive networks of vocal recognition in African elephants. Animal Behaviour. 59: 1103–1109
• Viljoen, P., 1989. Spatial distribution and movements of elephants (Loxodonta africana) in the northern Namib Desert region of the Kaokoveld, South West African/Nambia. Journal of Zoology, London 219, 1–19.
• Rasmussen, L.E.L. and Krishnamurthy, V., 2000. How chemical signals integrate Asian elephant society: the known and the unknown. Zoo Biology. 19: 405–423